Concerning cults. What signs are there when one is part of a cult? I picked some out that are happen often these days when people are spiritually/magically involved into certain groups or orders. Its important to check these. And also they are more or less manifest in the behavior of the ‘leader’. Especially manipulation and using NLP techniques, induction from certain words (repeating them, promise things etc), that are used to justify the means. Non transparent way of dealing with costs, requirements what need to be bought in order to progress etc. Its very important to maintain critical thinking and using ones own intuition and common sense.
“How Cults Manipulate People
Many people now agree that cults frequently psychologically manipulate their membership to ensure conformity and control. Steve Hassan’s excellent book “Combating Cult Mind-Control” is a great starting point. The following points come from numerous sources. Not all of these are found in every cult but enough of them are found in most cults to make them very frightening places that inflict deep psychological damage on their membership.
1. Submission to Leadership – Leaders tend to be absolute, prophets of God, God Himself, specially anointed apostle, or just a strong, controlling, manipulative person who demands submission even if changes or conflicts occur in ideology or behavior.
2. Polarized World View – The group is all that is good; everything outside is bad.
3. Feeling Over Thought – Emotions, intuitions, mystical insights are promoted as more important than rational conclusions.
4. Manipulation of Feelings – Techniques designed to stimulate emotions, usually employing group dynamics to influence responses.
5. Denigration of Critical Thinking – Can go so far as to characterize any independent thought as selfish, and rational use of intellect as evil.
6. Salvation or Fulfillment can only be realized in the group.
7. End Justifies the Means – Any action or behavior is justifiable as long as it furthers the group’s goals. The group (leader) becomes absolute truth and is above all man-made laws.
8. Group Over Individual – The group’s concerns supersede an individual’s goals, needs, aspirations, and concerns. Conformity is the key.
9. Warnings of severe or supernatural sanctions for defection or even criticism of the cult – This can go so far as to apply to negative or critical thought about the group or its leaders.”ItsIt