Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
We all know that words and phrases have power. Its known in commercials but also the student of the occult knows that words and phrases can be very powerful. For good and for bad. Nothing wrong with it of course. But, what we observe especially in the occult world but also in others parts of occultism people tend to copy phrases without exactly knowing what it means, nor have real experience with it. Then a word of phrase becomes a ‘phantasy’. My wife was reading in a book from Osho about Tantrism (Tantra het allerhoogste inzicht Nederlandse vertaling) and also Osho mentions this in that book. Ouspensky even created a ‘word’ about this phenomenon . He called it ” imaginazione’, (imagination).
If someone came to him and expressed about his inner experiences and started with ‘my kundalini has risen’ or I’ve seen the light, my chakra’s are open’ he stopped immediately and said “Imaginazione”. What do you mean (the individual said)? He said ‘the illness of the imagination’, you walked into a trap. Stop!
To express experiences in words we use metaphors, because the unutterable is difficult to express in plain language. When we read poetry its just imagination, the imagination of the poet. Nothing wrong with it. When its about science we stick to facts and repeated experiment to test ones thesis. But in the inner world, our inner deep experiences, it very hard to express it in plain words. Then images come in, symbols, paintings, drawings etc. Images are the bridge between the phenomenal world to the spiritual world. That is why visualizations are so important. I noticed it also when I did the ‘Abramelin Working’ and now afterwards. Certain experiences are very hard to describe and experiences continues mixed in our daily life.
The point of this writing is that these days and I guess as long as tere are people there are groups of people who express themselves in the words others used. For example; my heart chakra is blocked, or ‘my Holy guardian Angel’ said this and said that, or the Kundalini has risen. Or I’m under a psychic attack (when something goes wrong). This group of people ‘imagine’ that they have those experiences, its phantasy. Its repeating parts of phrases or words from others because the ‘think’ they have had the same experience. In other words they parroting what others who are in authority say or those who they think are in authority.
So when does one knows its a genuine experience? There are a few signposts that are based on my experience about the subject:
- the experience came unexpected and has an unique implication. or came after a long and thorough Work but manifested in an authentic way (not fabricated).
- the person who experienced it don’t talk (much) about it or only talk about it to those who he/she trust.
- its not a phrase or word dropping to impress others, or to convince they do matter and are significant as well.
- its very hard to express in words, it sometimes finds ways to express itself that can be very unexpected.
- it takes many years before one has the ‘knack’ to really ‘know’ its real or imagination. Especially beginners drop words and phrases from others all the time. (just look around on facebook groups or forums)
- Daily hard practice for many years backup by loads of knowledge (books and inner realization) are the best ways to test the authenticity of an experience.
- inducing a true state of trance (samadhi) since in this state information comes naturally from another plane and thus weed out phantasy as such. Of course every level of trance state induces other forms of energy and information.
Like its takes many many years of study and practice to become a concert violist. That last one everyone seem to understand, but when it comes to occultism one think to know after reading a couple of books. We see this phenomenon on all levels in all types of religious, occult, new age groups.
So be on your guard when one hear oneself drop words and phrases that are not real experiences. Its a trap and leads to delusion and when it really goes wrong to madness. Its doesn’t solve ones real inner issues, which real realization do. Real realization extinct all those dysfunctional behavior patterns that bars us to become illuminated. That makes our Path so hard, so difficult but so rewarding as well!
Read in relation to this subject also the chapter ‘Trance’ from ‘Little essays toward truth’ from Aleister Crowely.
Love is the law, love under will.
If you like my articles and Work please feel free to subscribe to my blog..